'Extra grand slams': Carlos Alcaraz already has sights set on 2023 glory after US Open triumph

September 12, 2022 Muricas News 0 Comments

'Extra grand slams': Carlos Alcaraz already has sights set on 2023 glory after US Open triumph [ad_1]

It is telling of the 19-year-old's decided character and aggressive nature that he already has his sights set on one other grand slam win in 2023.

Alcaraz's victory in New York after two weeks of grueling tennis -- the teen performed three consecutive marathon five-set matches within the rounds main into the ultimate -- makes him the youngest participant to win a grand slam since Rafael Nadal lifted the primary of his 14 French Open titles in 2005.

Each hailing from Spain and being naturals on clay, the comparisons between Alcaraz and Nadal had been inevitable. Regardless of idolizing Nadal whereas rising up, Alcaraz has all the time batted away 'the following Nadal' or 'mini Nadal' monikers, as a substitute insisting he needs to carve out his personal legacy.

On Sunday, he took the primary -- and maybe hardest -- step on that journey.

"I labored actually, actually arduous the final couple of years, I suffered lots as nicely on this path to achieve this trophy," Alcaraz instructed Muricas News Sport's Carolyn Manno after his four-set win over Casper Ruud. "In fact, it is time to nonetheless hold working, to remain on the high for a few years or attempt to get extra grand slams.
Carlos Alcaraz made history with his US Open win over Casper Ruud.

"It is not all the time comfortable on the trail, it's a must to undergo lots, a whole lot of robust moments in your life, so it's a must to overcome that. I labored, actually, actually arduous for this.

"I've acquired the primary one at 19 years previous, I hope to get one other one subsequent 12 months, however I suffered lots these two weeks, so I do know it is actually, actually robust to get a grand slam, however I'll work for an additional one. I'll combat to get one other one and so this can be a aim for me subsequent 12 months."

Document breaker

Along with his victory, Alcaraz additionally claims the No. 1 world rating for the primary time, turning into the youngest participant in ATP historical past to take action. It is a becoming solution to cap what has been an astonishing breakout 12 months for the younger man from El Palmar within the area of Murcia.

After profitable his maiden ATP title in 2021, Alcaraz has flourished additional in 2022, profitable 4 titles -- together with two Masters 1000 tournaments -- to stand up the rankings from No. 32 at first of the 12 months.

World No. 1 Iga Swiatek wins US Open, her third major title

Sunday's battle in opposition to Ruud is a match-up tennis followers are prone to see far more of sooner or later, with the Norwegian tipped by many to be a future grand slam champion.

After clinching match level, a visibly emotional Alcaraz fell to ground, although that seemingly may have been as a lot right down to exhaustion because it was emotion. He in some way managed to seek out the energy to climb by the stands to achieve his supporter's field, sharing hugs with associates, household and his coach, former world No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero.

"This second means lots to me, it is one thing I used to be on the lookout for since I began enjoying tennis," Alcaraz mentioned after his victory. "I labored actually, actually arduous to have the ability to elevate this trophy immediately, to turn into one of the best participant on the earth. For me, this sense is indescribable, so this trophy means lots to me.

"I considered after I began enjoying tennis and, after all, all of my household, all of my coaches throughout my life, the whole lot from what I used to be a child. When you find yourself a child, you all the time dream about a whole lot of issues and to be No. 1 on the earth and to be a champion of a grand slam had been desires for me.

"So proper now lifting this trophy is a dream come true for me, so I am so comfortable."

Nadal was among the many first individuals to supply plaudits for Alcaraz's achievement, with some viewing his victory in New York because the official passing of the torch for Spanish tennis.

"Congratulations @carlosalcaraz on your first Grand Slam and for the #1 rating, which is the end result of your first nice season and of which I'm positive there will probably be many extra!" the 22-time grand slam champion wrote on Twitter.

With the ability, will and dedication that had been on show in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Sunday, it appears to be like as if Spain will proceed to have tennis glory to rejoice for years to come back.


[ad_2]

0 comments: